It’s officially fall season here in Napa Valley and we are enjoying cooler temperatures among the turning of leaves. It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy a warm, creamy squash soup paired with our delicious 2015 Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4-5 cups chicken stock
½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stem discarded
Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Cut butternut squash in half vertically and rub flesh with olive oil.
3. Place the cut side on a foil lined sheet pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until very soft. Flip the squash so that the cut side faces up on a wire rack to cool.
4. In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Scoop out butternut squash flesh and add to large pot. Add chicken stock, grated ginger, salt and pepper.
6. Place soup in a blender or food processor, in 4 or more batches, if necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
7. Return soup to saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tsp.thyme; cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
8. Ladle soup into six serving bowls. Garnish each with thyme.